Young spellers are in for an E-X-C-I-T-I-N-G time as Boise State University hosts the Southwest Idaho regional finals of the national Scripps Spelling Bee on March 11, 2017, in the Student Union Simplot Ballroom. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the bee starts at 10 a.m. and goes until we have a final top speller.
The winner of the regional bee will advance to the 2017 Scripps National Spelling Bee in the Washington, D.C., area.
In addition to improving students’ spelling skills and increasing their vocabularies, spelling bee participation provides valuable experience in developing poise — a necessary skill for success in public speaking, performing arts and athletics.
Teachers in third- through eighth-grade classrooms and homeschool parents are invited to register. Teachers should check with principals or superintendents to coordinate registering their schools. Homeschoolers are welcome to visit spellingbee.com to register.
Early Bird enrollment ends Oct. 14, and regular school enrollment ends Dec. 12. Also, schools that enroll by Friday, Sept. 30, receive a bonus: two free one-year subscriptions to Britannica Online for Kids to award as school spelling bee prizes.
When you enroll at spellingbee.com and pay the materials and enrollment fee of $145, you will receive exclusive online access to:
- Grade-specific word lists and study sheets for grades 1–8
- Study materials for your school spelling champion
- The “2017 Classroom Pronouncer Guide”
- The “2017 School Pronouncer Guide”
- From Encyclopædia Britannica, a free one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids that you may award to one student at your school (a $69.95 value)
- Materials to conduct your Great American SpellCheck fund-raiser
- Award certificates
- Key information about your local spelling bee program
All participants must meet Scripps Spelling Bee requirements outlined on spellingbee.com.
The regional bee has not had a sponsor for several years, meaning young spellers have not been eligible to participate in the national bee. This year, Boise State has stepped in to be the sponsor for Southwest Idaho, encompassing Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley and Washington counties.
For more information, email email@example.com.